Thursday, October 25, 2012

Happy Birthday Ba Zambia

October 24th- Happy birthday Zambia!

A wee personal story to celebrate Zambia's independence day from afar:

Many of you have heard how thankful I am to have lived in a whole different world- to have opened my eyes to different perspectives & ways of living. Alvin & I shared a laugh this morning without exchanging a word. The morning news was running a story of how obesity may start being considered a disease. Alvin has commented before on how odd he thinks it is to discuss obesity as an illness. In his culture you are fat when you eat too much. Being overweight in Zambia doesn't mean someone is unhappy, unbalanced, mentally ill, or struggling with some other demons- it just means you eat too much. As I heard the morning newscaster setting up the story a little smile tugged at the corners of my mouth. I looked up & saw Alvin's expression - yes my dear, we can laugh & it's okay - it's Zambia's Independence Day.

No comments: