Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Disarm Them with your Smiles

There has been some negative energy around the office. For the most part I have no problems staying positive and enjoying the challenges that all teams bring. But over coffee I happened to mention to a new colleague that I was struggling to stay positive with all the complaining. His response was something along the lines of 'work is work. Just disarm them with your smiles'; it has become my motto when negativity comes to breathe down my neck. And it seems to be working; I feel like I've been successfully deflecting negativity.

On another note...Thanksgiving.

With the folks out of town & Tom hosting the in-laws Alvin & I were on our own for Thanksgiving. I spontaneously decided that I should do a turkey dinner that would've made Gran proud. What better time to roast your 1st turkey than when you're not hosting anyone? Unfortunately, things didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped. My gravy was not a rich deep brown- boo. My bubbat (Mennonite-style raisin bread) did not raise nicely - I believe I had too little batter for the pan. I chopped up the turkey like Gran used to do & at least that turned out lovely. I tried my first ever stove top stuffing & I'll confess that I enjoyed every bite! I rounded out the not-so-colourful meal with a scrumptious glass of Amarula. I really do have so much to be thankful for...especially as we're packing our bags for a weekend in Seattle. We're looking forward to being together with the whole family for cousin Fitzy's wedding! More from Seattle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to find the secret ingredient that gran used in her gravy...and I do know that secret...glad to share.
POPS

Anonymous said...

Keep smiling - they'll wonder what you're up to!