Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Waiting is Over

...and it's official- Zambia has a new President. Alvin & I have been closely watching news stations & chatting with friends back in Lusaka to find out how things were progressing after elections held on Tuesday. Today it was announced that Michael Sata will takeover. Being away from 'home' I have no opinion on whether or not this is a good thing; but there is a part of me that is so proud that the current President is standing down. Many African nations have been criticized for being democratic only in theory- I'm smiling that Zambian voters have been heard in the announcement of a new President. I will certainly be keeping a close eye on developments and security as change is not always smooth; but for now I'll imagine the energy that we are hearing about- thousands of Zambians celebrating in the streets. I'm smiling to see the familiar streets in my mind; hope-filled people along Chilimbulu road & Independence avenue.

Other news:
I've been savouring a gorgeous Fall. Here are some shots of me & Al out for an afternoon stroll.










































Tom turned another year older...














And I can't believe I got my first canna lily flower in September. Now there are three blooms on this one plant. It's a remarkable Fall!

No comments: