Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Cherry Platz

The other weekend Pop & I picked cherries from Tom's backyard. We pitted, packaged & planned how we would use them. Alvin complained that they're too sour for muffins (for him maybe- I love them); but still, I considered other ways for enjoying these sour cherries. I looked through some of mom's Mennonite cookbooks looking for a platz recipe- that's what I decided I wanted. Gran used to make fruit platz (pronounced plautz) with an almost sugar-cookie bottom, fruit filling, and a sweet brown sugar topping. None of the platz recipes I could find were exactly what I was looking for. Undeterred, I baked without a recipe. A little daunting at first, but it turned out just as I had hoped so now I feel a bit like a seasoned baker- or like a Granny - to heck with measurements! I brought some over to the folks & after some of mom's input I would change the topping up a bit next time. But doesn't it look scrumptious?















When I was uploading my platz pictures I found some shots from one of my fave Edmonton festivals- Heritage Days. It was great to have Candra back too because her family always gets us free goodies from the Caribbean tent*grin*- gotta love Jamaican beef patties.
















No comments: