Saturday, March 26, 2011

Incongruous

I had some music blasting Friday as I cleaned up the flat. P Diddy's (aka Dirty $...aka etc) latest hit rang through the doorway & the tears started flowing. My dear little prairie Mennonite Granny would certainly not have anything in common with this famous rap star...but the words had me thinking of my Gran who was then in hospital. I was reminded of how over the past few hospital visits there was talk of Gran's sister & daughters "singing her home". I don't know the intentions of the lyrics (I would assume hardly biblical), but that is the tune that will remind me of my Gran's passing.
It was only a few hours later I received the call that Gran had in fact passed away; and my Gran's sister was there earlier in the day signing & praying Gran's way up to the heaven she so fiercely believed in.

I'm thankful that Alvin & I had one year (today) to spend with her- it's crazy to reflect on all the changes over the past year we've spent back in my Motherland.

1 comment:

Holly Higgins said...

Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
-- Siddhartha Buddha
Sending you and the whole family love. xoxo