Saturday, February 05, 2011

Mother Nature's Last Laugh

Oh Sarah, such a disaster. The forecast was calling for snow Friday evening and temperatures back below zero for the weekend. So what do I think?- perfect time to squeeze in one more road run before it's back to walking. Boy was I wrong.
I officially partook in the most treacherous walk of my life (oh the trials of suburban living)*grin*. I trotted down Grandin road thinking that I'd do a nice loop to stretch my legs & clear my head. About half way down the slope my slow trot turned into a slow walk. I decided sidewalk conditions would get better round the corner as going straight back up would be too treacherous. Boy was I ever wrong again.
I'm giggling at one point nearly at the corner of Levasseur because my feet are spinning like the road runner & there's no forward motion...I couldn't help but laugh because I thought the motorists must be having a laugh at my expense. I tell myself "Surely once I reach Levasseur I'll be fine because I ran it Wednesday & it was pretty much clear".
Let's just say I should have worn skates to tackle Levasseur. The waist-high snowdrifts are no longer waist-high, they've melted onto the sidewalk & then frozen over. Seriously, skates would've been the best way out.
Could it get any worse? At my final final home stretch (by this point I'm a little annoyed because I've nearly fallen a thousand times & progress was so slow my little 30 minute work out turned into over an hour's worth of slow-going trek)...and what am I faced with? Giant puddles that had not frozen over. Sigh. As I climbed up the steps to the apartment (running shoes soaked & toes frozen) I had a good-hearted chuckle with that mother nature- she pulled a fast one on me.

Note to self: contact that mailman brother of yours before setting out for a 'quick jog'.

No comments: