Friday, January 21, 2011

One for Francis (Rumi) Mwelwa

My former running partner sent me an email this week (former because he's still in Lusaka & I'm here). It was a lovely email; reminiscing about our time on the road- the stairs, the Olympic 10 km fun runs, and our epic half-marathon...

With the warm temperatures (hovering around zero degrees) I could wait no longer. I did something I thought I would never do- I ran in the snow. (Right about now my Pop is shaking his head in disbelief- I have been known to call people crazy who choose to run in these conditions). However, with the email from Rumi (best running partner ever) & after speaking to a couple of friends about the best ways to keep warm- I set off. I was so excited about this event that I carried my camera with me to show Rumi my new running conditions.
Here I am all geared up to hit the road



















I stayed on cleared sidewalks for most of my run- but check how high the snow is- it's just crazy.














My homestretch was pretty rough though...















I have to say my first ever "snow" run felt incredible. My ankles felt liberated outside of their warm winter boots, I felt my leg muscles welcoming me back. My heart & lungs protested a bit on the steepest part of my incline homeward- but I kept it short & light. Today I'm less enamoured as I set out in temperatures a bit colder & one wrong turn took me into thigh deep snow*sigh*. But I trudged through with Rumi's words ringing in my ears: "Mwana, you're strong". And I do feel strong taking the time to be that little bit healthier. (I'm sure the longer days & significantly warmer temperatures have a little something to do with raising the spirits too)*grin*

No comments: