Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fairweather Jogger

I decided after a delicious brunch at the folks that it would be warm enough for a jog. Looked like we were sitting around 9 degrees on a beautiful Halloween day. Earlier in the week as I was wrapped up in jackets, scarves, a toque & sporting long johns I saw a slender young couple out running. First I was thinking "maybe we could do that"...and then there was a gust of wind & I realized that in all my layers I hadn't started sweating. Then I started thinking about how the cold air burns my nose & chest & tears stream down my face with a cold gust of win- running is definitely out. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoyed my trot this afternoon. It felt glorious to stretch the legs, clear my head & think of my Mom as I noted the signature Alberta blue skies.

This is the first time in a very long time that I haven't had exercise plans plotted out weeks in advance, athletic goals set to achieve & a commitment to a team or exercise program; and I'm loving it! It felt wonderful to head out today but part of why it was so wonderful was because it was unplanned. I've decided to keep this up for a while. Alvin and I are still easing into our new routines & I have no desire to sign up for something that will start blocking my time. I can't help but think it's very unlike me but I'm savouring the change so I'll keep spontaneous exercise on my radar for now. There are a few things planned in the coming months: walking with friends, curling, yoga & trying out exercise DVDs from the library (the one I've currently got is hilarious). I am now looking forward to a soak in the tub with the latest Diana Gabaldon book*grin*.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful share, great article, very usefull for me...thanks