Monday, August 09, 2010

A Night to Remember

I suppose I'll be eternally indebted to my dear friend Ry for the favour he shared with me on Thursday night. Ry has been in faithful attendance at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival for decades...and last year he won the "Golden Tarp". And being the good friend that he is he allowed me to join him so that I could drool over Mr. Ben Harper approximately 10 feet away. (I don't mean to disregard Gord Downie who actually put on a good number despite the incoherent chat in between songs & the final exit of standing on stationary speaker while appearing to surf. I'm sure it was much cooler to him because he looked rather high). In sharp contrast Harper came out looking smashingly sober and was incredibly humble. Who knows what he's like in real-life, but what a pleasure to witness his show at such close range.

Feast your eyes ladies!



It was an amazing show & I was thrilled to be with such dear friends. And the finale: Harper paid tribute by closing out the night playing "Heart of Gold" from Canada's most famous/ renowned/ touted folk-rocker Neil Young. I took a little video but it doesn't capture the vibe on the hill...& it is also unable to upload at the moment. I shall sign off before the Internet crashes (again)*grin*

No comments: