Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Earthworms & flying toads

I had the fright of my life this morning…in retrospect though, it’s pure comedy! After bathing this morning I headed into the kitchen to snoop for some breakfast. Just at the door to the kitchen I see a critter fly through the air and I hear a “clunk” as this yet-to-be-identified creature hammers itself into the bottom of the kitchen cupboards. My first reaction is to scream and run. As I reach the safety of the bedroom I start analyzing what exactly the creature could have been. I have deduced that our friendly toad is back! Horray! Every year the toad visits our kitchen- I can’t believe it’s waited until the end of the rainy season before showing itself. Unhappily, it appears to be living under our kitchen cupboards…which means there is a lot of water leaking into the flat. For now, I’m turning a blind eye though I may start looking desperately for a new flat pretty soon*hahaha*

As for the earthworms, I checked up on my composting project over the weekend (though I’ve only been doing it for a couple of weeks now) & I am happy to report a marked increase in earthworms! Yay! I’ve convinced myself that this is the key to composting and healthy soil though I haven’t backed that up with any research…

No comments: