Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The small things

Mutinondo Part II*smile*

One of my fave moments of the trip was watching this dung beetle (I'm calling it a dung beetle because it was rolling a ball of poop- not because I actually know that it's a dung beetle, so if I'm wrong- feel free to correct me)! I wish I would've taken a video; this beetle was a) truly acrobatic rolling the ball of dung along with his hind legs, and b) just like the little-engine-that-could. This guy never stopped pushing that poop, even if it was uphill & the dung rolled over top of him(her?) & back down the slope. Incredible.

























I also forgot to put up the other beautiful finds: these stunning flowers, & the sunset we caught one evening (one photo starring Al).













































4 comments:

Mélanie said...

Patricia did mention the golfball sized "dung" beetles in her email... falling from the sky? I'm picturing umbrellas for beetles! HA!

Anonymous said...

Lovely set of pictures that you have posted recently. The sunset behind the trees is especially nice. The dung beetles are great hey ! I loved watching the ant-lions/lion-ants. The things that built the inverted cone sand traps.
You can check out some of my pics at www.flickr.com/photos/ufopilot/ if you like.
Best wishes
Dave

Holly Higgins said...

Salute mi amici.
I have been reading but not commenting... so now it is time! I have loved reading your stories *Especially* the camping one. I laughed just thinking about your laugh whilst re-telling the story! The photos are all great and although the pecan squares don't look delicious I am sure they are. Enjoy every moment up to this weekend! Thinking of you, lots of love. xoxo

Anonymous said...

What? You're not live-blogging your wedding?!