Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mutale's Kitchen Party

I was invited to Mutale’s bridal shower (called a kitchen party in Zambia) on Saturday. I was excited to see some traditional Lozi dress; I’ve never been to a Lozi function before & didn’t realize how distinct their dresses are. The woman on the right (leading in a covered soon-to-be-bride) is wearing the traditional “misisi” (white top. There’s another bright green misisi behind and to the left). Mutale is also wearing one- apparently any fabric can be used, as long as the shape remains the same, & a shawl is tied round the waist.















I thought Mutale looked so beautiful in her bright salmon-coloured "misisi".














As with all things Zambian there was a whole bunch of food & drink & tradition. After Mutale is “unveiled”, the groom-to-be offers up a small token of his love (a bouquet in this instance). He’s the one in the centre with specs.














The day would have been lovely had the “matron” not been evil. This woman had been hired to run the event & for some reason she thought it was hilarious that I (a mzungu) am an “in-law”. So she heckled me in Bemba (which I do not understand) until 150 women turned around and giggled at me. It was pretty awful, so I left before the dancing could begin…I certainly didn’t want to stay & have to shake my bootie on the dance floor surrounded by Zambian women who are BORN shaking their booties. Here she is, with the purple scarf wrapped round her waist. Other than her though, I really enjoyed my time with Al’s family.














Here’s Bwembya, Bwalya and Valerie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that's what I was searching for, what a material! existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this web site.

Feel free to surf to my blog post diet plan