Monday, August 25, 2008

National Mourning

Despite the country being in mourning, I had a nice weekend. It’s so quiet because all celebrations/ recreational activities have been banned (originally for seven days but they’ve since extended the mourning period for 21 days). I wonder if the mourning period will remain for the full three weeks? All national sporting federations had been told that no games will be held during the national mourning period- for me that means no basketball…crazy! I was giggling to myself because apparently the bars remained opened, but they were only permitted to play gospel music- could you imagine?! Quite funny in its own morbid way.

I actually travelled to the lovely (if exhibiting ghost town qualities) town of Kabwe about 1.5 hours drive north of Lusaka on Saturday. August 14th was the one year memorial of my departed friend & colleague Chola Chisupa. Alison- a star of a colleague- organized a barbeque at Chola’s parents’ place in Kabwe. Since I was in Canada during the funeral of Chola, I especially appreciated being able to contribute to this memorial. It was lovely to meet Chola’s parents (& see where Chola had inherited her beautiful smile), and to see her boys. There were no tears, the purpose was to celebrate Chola’s life and it was a wonderful day for me. I’m so thankful that I was able to be a part of the event. If Alison sends along any photos of the event I’ll be sure to post them up here.

Otherwise not much to report- the rest of the weekend was filled up with a bit of visiting & a bit of schoolwork. I also spent a lot of time “abroad” in my mind. My dear friend Ry tied the knot on Saturday- I was so thrilled that my folks & my brother were able to be at his big day in my stead. AND I got all the news on Seth & Marina as well since they sat at the same table- how lovely! Another girlfriend in Denmark also married her love on Saturday- so despite all the mourning my heart is singing!! (Except that it’s already Monday)*giggling*…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chola's(mummy) memorial was a great day for me aswell