Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pouting

Well I had received some emails, read some blogs & felt like I was missing out. People were telling me of weekends jam-packed with adventure & what did I have to report? I didn’t visit the misty hills of Chipata, or the breath-taking plains of Mongu. But I spent some time reflecting yesterday & realized my tales are just not nearly as exciting. My major achievement over the weekend: I submitted my first massive assignment to the University of London. I have been labouring away at this research proposal for months (with lots of support from others- thanks for being on 24-hour SMS alert Sarah T & getting me through the stats, & Christine thanks for the wealth of information & comments to improve my ‘draft draft’). I feel great having submitted it & now await comments from my professors before submitting the whole shebang in September.

I have my “monthly indulgence” planned or Thursday- haircut & a manicure- Weeee! Nothing like celebrating our achievements, right?

I took Saturday off the books to enjoy the courts which (let me boast here) has apparently been paying off. Our Youth Basketball League coordinator released the stats upon completion of our “first round” of games. BSA tops the charts in all divisions (except the girls division because well- we don’t have a girls’ team). We’re ranked first in the U18 league (though we’re one game in hand of the only team that’s beaten us…so it’s really more like 2nd place), tied for first in the U15 league- which is a serious feat because Magic had NEVER lost a league game until this year, and there’s a massive 4-way tie for first in the U12 league. I’m really happy that the U12 league is reflecting the ups & downs of kids learning a new sport- almost all the teams are collecting both wins & losses (& that league is too much fun). I had promised some folks photos of the little ones during our recent tournament. I was sticking true to my word on the Saturday of the tourney; but I handed over the camera on Sunday for someone else to take photos & they inadvertently erased the photos of the “babies”. I’m so bummed…but there are certainly more games to come. (Neither the U18s nor the U12s fared well in the mid-season tournament but our U15s won the day- & like I mentioned before, it’s really a big deal to oust Magic from their throne- I’m so proud of of the boys their coaches)!!!

So there are no photos of wild weekend adventures, but I am feeling great about where I am, & I reckon that counts for something.

Oh, & it’s cold & miserable again…so much for me thinking the cold season was over. I really missed my toque during my morning run- I think I’ll ask the folks to bring me earmuffs when they come visit me next.

I’m rambling- signing off- cheers to a brilliant Tuesday.

No comments: