Friday, February 01, 2008

The Taj Mahal

One of my Indian friends (who also misinformed me that the weather would be nice in India) recommended that we should try to hit the Taj Mahal. Since Alvin has been recovering from the surgery well, and the post-surgery physiotherapy wasn't quite what we had expected, we decided to take a chance & take a day tour.

It was well worth the gruelling 4 hour drive (one way)! I've never been one much for architecture or artsy fartsy tours, but the Taj Mahal is simply breathtaking. I'm so happy we went!


This guy nearly got run over by our bus driver. He ripped into traffic without shoulder checking or worrying about his surroundings- I can't believe Alvin caught the photo!


















We had a very informative tour guide, & I'm fascinated by the history of the Taj Mahal, but I know how dry travel logs can get when someone narrates brutally long & unexciting stories. So please peruse the photos at your leisure, and know that I would strongly recommend jumping that plane & seeing it for yourself!





















The view from the back, I thought it was lovely.



















I'm really here!























The tour also included the Agra Fort. Again, plenty of cool tales about this impressive structure, but I'll refrain from gory details.






















I loved this space because it was where the king would meet with his citizens to try to deal with problems. It all seems so civilized (though we don't seem to be learning from the past, what with war all over the world). The other reason I liked this place was that there was a palace for the King's Muslim wife, a palace for the King's Hindu wife, and then an area in which Christians could come & pray (though it wasn't clear if the King actually had a Christian wife...or if the guide was only teasing). Again, what a lesson today's leaders could learn from an ancient Mughal empire...*sigh*





















Here is a view from the Fort & if you look hard enough you can see the Taj Mahal over Alvin's shoulder!

1 comment:

Clara said...

soooooooooooo jealous! I would love nothing more than to see the Taj!! and eat curry of course ;)