Thursday, January 03, 2008

Confession

One of the things I’m most looking forward to in 2008 is my commitment to making less of an impact on the environment. I didn’t think I was doing too badly, until the reality set in that we burn our garbage. I know- horrors. And I can’t actually believe that I’m admitting this so publicly. At the flat where I live, there is a big pit where all of us throw our garbage. When the pit gets to overflowing, the garbage is burnt. It actually hurts me to write this. I’ve always had the option of paying for garbage pick up, but I thought- why should I have my garbage picked up if my neighbours continue to burn there’s? With a little help from Lusaka City Council, and the people who want to get paid for collecting garbage- all of the renters of the flats have agreed to pay for garbage pick-up. This has been something that I’ve wanted to do for sometime, so it looks like 2008 will be a non-burning year for me! YAY! We have invested in hygienic bins, and garbage collection is weekly. It’s all so exciting!















Yes, this is my yard, I’m sorry to admit it. Appalling- I know. I wish I was an expert in composting…I want to convince my neighbours that we need to do all we can to get all of this waste degrading and producing soil that won’t be useless forever. But that’s over-stepping my humble goals for 2008*smile*















I suppose this is evidence of what an awful person I have been. But check the baby chicks…















I will post other “green” decisions that take place. For now I’m chuffed that my herbs are starting to come up (basil & dill), and yesterday I planted tomatoes & cayenne peppers. There will be photos updates of their progress. Promise.

The dill is looking good but I think some of the basil has been washed out by the heavy rains.

My fingers are crossed for some sun.

No comments: