Monday, November 05, 2007

One for Guy Fawkes

I feel like blogging but I don’t have anything coherent to say; so here are the trials of the weekend.

Guy Fawkes: I always feel nostalgic for Lombard Crescent when Guy Fawkes day/night rolls around. All the neighbourhood kids would watch our parents drink & visit while we were allowed to stay up late watching the biggest bonfire of the year (burning a scarecrow of course). Guy Fawkes celebrations were looked forward to much more than any Halloween sweets...

Face lift: Friday morning I stepped out the back door to put my runners in the sun to dry after having washed them. I was shocked to see a layer of paint on our block of flats; shocked more to see the alarming pink colour. There are only four flats in the block on the plot where I live. But all of the flats are owned by different people…so the upkeep of the block is dismal. Somehow the four landlords finally agreed that the outside of the flats really needed a coat of paint. How they chose “peach” is beyond me…& I thought I left the pink palace over a year ago*sigh*. I do have to admit it needed a paint job…& I think it’ll look fine once all of the coats are on. Now if only they’d clear the trees that are growing out the eaves troughs… I’ll have to take photos

Basketball: Saturday morning both of BSA’s basketball teams had league games. The U15 team (in their second ever league game) got blown away by the 2nd place team in the U15 league. Poor babies. The U18s managed to redeem BSA’s name after a convincing defeat of the Munali Heats.

Suzy Homemaker: It happens rarely that I am in the mood for cooking or baking, so when that urge takes hold, I fly with it. I found the basil I was looking for, and consequently have a freezer full of scrumptious calzone*whoop whoop*. Falafel for lunch this week after my batch last night. Mmm. Admittedly, it wasn’t the most exciting weekend, but I’ll enjoy the benefits!

The heat: After my early run on Saturday morning, Alvin commented that he was surprised it was so warm before 7am. I was sweating buckets on the stairs as usual and thought nothing of it. However, on my walk to work this morning…let me tell you, it’s like an oven before 7am- it’s not fair. This is the time of year I love & hate. It’s close to rainy season, though the unpredictable rains haven’t yet started (I think we’ve had one day of rain). It means days that get so hot, then maybe late afternoon there will be the threat of rain, then nothing but humidity. Sometimes I think the rains cool things off, other times I think it just gets hotter.

Bathtub update: I remember recently raving about a spectacularly gleaming white freshly re-finished tub. The follow-up is that for some reason these people didn't smooth out the sides of the tub, only the bottom. So the walls of the tub are quite rough. I was livid yesterday morning when I cut my hand (from rubbing the back of my hand against the wall) while washing my greying hair. Pretty bad combo eh?

Gecko alert- I almost had a heart attack yesterday when trying to put a book on my bookshelf; this gecko zipped from before my eyes, and disappeared behind my treasured books. I jumped a mile & alerted Alvin (who hates geckos & lizards). I like the idea of geckos & lizards, because they eat mosquitoes (that are starting to swarm in this hot weather) and roaches…but I don’t actually like knowing that one is living in my bookshelf. The only other lizard we’ve had in the flat was a baby lizard (far cuter than geckos) that was about an inch long. T-i-n-y! I found him in the bathroom & wanted to keep him as a pet. Alvin refused. Now I’m left with a big gecko living in my bookshelf*sigh*

I don’t think there’s anything else to report today. Hope you enjoyed a disjointed update*smile*

1 comment:

Jeni said...

This made me smile Sarah Katie.