Monday, July 16, 2007

Zambian Gatorade

I've given up superstition! Friday the 13th was probably one of the funnest days I can remember; gone are the days of holding my breath past graveyards and avoiding walking under ladders.

Ok, maybe I haven't gone so far...black cats are still ominous.

Breakthrough Sports Academy threw it's second "drop in sports camp" of the year on the afternoon of Friday the 13th. There are a few reasons things didn't go exactly as I had hoped, but here, I mean only to highlight the beauty of the day.

I met up with my colleagues and we set off through various shanty compounds (townships) en route to "Tamanga Ground". BSA is split over three main grounds, we held the first camp in Garden compound at Kampala ground, so this camp was set for Tamanga ground in Emmasdale.

Three of us arrived at the grounds a bit later than the group who was facilitating the camp. Here's what we found:




We noticed countless kids watching the activity. We asked a couple of our coaches who weren't doing anything to get the kids into action. And action there was!



Zilole entertained countless kids with "bustele"- these are games, songs, & dances that every Zambian kid seems to know. I love watching Zilole lead children's activities...the kids simply adore him!

George also initiated a game of "Team Handball". I've never played this game before but couldn't resist- it was so fun! It's like soccer except without kicking the ball, the ball is passed hand to hand. Goals are scored by headers...brilliant.







After all the running, laughing & singing amidst the blowing dust we were all parched. About five of us headed back to the BSA office together. Mutale stopped to buy us all sugar cane to celebrate the fun we'd just had. As we ripped into the fresh cut cane, I couldn't help but think "ahh, Zambian Gatorade". There was nothing that would have brought life back to my taste buds better than the sugar cane. I don't think my smile faded throughout the afternoon.

Aside: There is a version of gatorade here called Energade. I'm quite sure it's made by Coca-Cola & it tastes just like energy drinks back home. But I never would have had so much fun pounding back a bottled drink while winding back through Mtonyo, Garden & Luangwa compounds, as I did sharing stories of the day in between bites of the succulent sugar cane.

No comments: