Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Pissing like a racehorse

A whole new meaning. (Sorry for using profanity…but ‘peeing’ like a racehorse simply doesn’t carry the same ring).

I’ve always been amused by the fact that anywhere you walk in Lusaka, there’s going to be a man discreetly peeing somewhere. My favourite are those who pile out of their cars (inevitably on Friday evenings or anytime Saturday or Sunday after a few too many alcoholic bevies) & pee right by the roadside. Surprisingly, I’ve never been heckled nor had an uncomfortable experience by someone who is relieving himself publicly.

Sometime back I had caught a ride into work with Alvin & was keeping my self busy peering out the window. There was a woman standing awkwardly on the side of a busy side-street. Her skirt is hiked up to her knees & she’s casually watching the traffic passing. As my chin drops in shock, my forehead hits the window & I’m thinking “She’s pissing; standing up in a skirt alongside a busy road”. That was a first. And for those of you who know Zambia…she was NOT in chitenge, but in a jean skirt- all the more unusual!

I love women here, dressed to the nines, plodding slowly to their working place in ridiculously high heels. Not missing a stride to blow a snot rocket or apparently, to piss like a race horse.
What will I do for entertainment when I come home this summer?!*hahahaha*

No comments: