Saturday, April 07, 2007

Chaminuka March 2007

I absolutely lucked out! I was invited to a conference at the end of March, held at a beautiful lodge about an hour outside of Lusaka. The lodge is actually quite near to Lusaka…but there are about 23 km on a heavily pot-holed road. The bumpy ride is very much worth it though. (I’m sure my folks & my Uncle can second that motion)! There must be hundreds of hectares of property filled with giraffe, a couple of elephants, hundreds of antelope, zebra etc. The more dangerous creatures are in outdoor cages- they have both lions & hyenas. The lodge itself is magnificent with a heated pool, incredible meals (cheese factory + game meat), & all local alcoholic beverages included. Yes, that means Amarula, Castle, Mosi and Malawi gin for free*giggle*

I was able to go for a ‘bush-walk’ (during which I saw more insects than animals) & for about a two-hour horseback ride. I’ve selected only my favourite shots so those of you who have yet to visit me here will have an idea of why one might want to stay in this “paradise” (as one visitor from Canada put it this morning). Another friend mentioned (after waking up & heading out onto my little patio) “why would you want to live anywhere else?”

What am I trying to justify? You all know I love it here…I’ll just be awaiting more visitors*warm smile*. I must confess, some of these African savannah shots remind me of the beautiful Canadian prairies I have grown to love. So much wonder & calm.


Sun playing on the field



Prairie? Savannah.



Mama Giraffe



Amusing African art*insert wicked smile here*

No comments: