Saturday, April 07, 2007

An Aside

I found myself giggling on my walk home from work yesterday. I love the things that remind me that I don't live in North America!

Passing a young man on the dusty pathway, I couldn't help but notice how his starched white top matched exactly his shiny white dress shoes- the only interruption being a pair of baggy jeans. A slow broad smile spread to my lips just as my phone beeped that I had a new message. Saved by the excuse to giggle while looking at the face of my phone, I didn't feel too "crazy" (laughing all by myself, that is). Better yet, it was my Canadian friend complaining about some annoyance ...perfect opportunity to verify if I haven't been gone from Canada too long.

My text reply:
"Male dress: Please remind me if white dress shoes = pimp, and it is indeed a fashion faux pas to wear aqua socks in public. Reminders as to why we love Zambia".

Disclaimer: I do not have any male friends here who sport white dress shoes.

Confession: I do have two male friends who move around Lusaka in aqua socks.

Point in case: Living proof: my dear friend Alinafe


No comments: